France 1703-H louis d'or
This specimen was lot 20871 in Heritage sale 3010 (Boston, August 2010), where it sold for $1,092.50. The catalog description noted, "Louis XIIII gold Louis d'Or 1703H, AU58 NGC, lightly toned with well-struck central details. Minted over an earlier coin with some of the underlying features showing through. An attractive example of this late coinage for Louis XIIII." Droulers calls this type louis d'or aux 8 L et aux insignes (louis with 8 L's and insignia). This type is usually found struck over older coins, a process involving all French silver and gold coinage during 1690-1709. These "reformations" were the result of financial manipulations too tedious to discuss here. The louis d'or aux 8 L, struck 1700-04, was succeeded by the louis d'or aux insignes struck 1704-09. Droulers gives this date a slight premium over the Paris mint issue.
Recorded mintage: unknown but "flans reformés" only.
Specification: 6.75 g, .917 fine gold, reeded edge, 24-26 mm diameter, designed by Joseph Roéttiers.
Catalog reference: KM 334.9, Dr/4 no. 414, Dr/2 no. 270.
- Droulers, Frédéric, Répertoire General des Monnaies de Louis XIII à Louis XVI (1610-1792), 4e édition. Paris: AFPN, 2009.
- Duplessy, Jean, Les Monnaies Françaises Royales de Hugues Capet à Louis XVI (987-1793), Tome II, 2e édition, Paris: Maison Platt, 1999.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Tucker, Warren, Scott Cordry and John Kraljevich, Heritage Sale 3010: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.
- 1702-BB louis d'or aux 8 L et aux insignes
- 1703-BB 5 sols aux insignes
- 1703-A 10 sols aux insignes
- 1703-A 1/12 d'écu aux insignes
- 1703-9 louis d'or aux 8 L et aux insignes
- 1704-A louis d'or aux insignes
- 1704-BB louis d'or aux insignes
- Coins and currency dated 1703
- return to French Royal coinage (to 1793)