France 1696-X ecu
This specimen was lot 24647 in Heritage sale 3032 (Chicago, April 2014), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "Louis XIV 1/2 Écu aux palmes 1696-X, Amiens mint, MS63 NGC. A lightly toned, mint-state example with a shallow obverse strike. The reverse of this piece is much more attractive and lustrous with markedly better detail. Struck over an earlier type from 1691 with a considerable amount of underlying elements still remaining." This type was struck 1693-1701 in large quantities, mostly overstriking older écus ("flans reformés"--see the specimen shown for the visible undertype). It was succeeded by the écu aux insignes. Droulers prices this date about 60% more than the common date, but even a common date is priced 20% higher than an écu à la mèche longue.
Reported Mintage: 8,378 struck on new blanks and quite a few restruck.
Specification: 27.45 g, .917 fine silver, 38-41 mm diameter, edge lettered DOMINE SALVVM FAC REGEM.
Catalog reference: KM 295.22, Dupl., 1520A; Ci., 1894; Gad-217, Dr/4 no. 510, Dr/2 no. 410, Dav-3813.
- Duplessy, Jean, Les Monnaies Françaises Royales de Hugues Capet à Louis XVI (987-1793), Tome II, 2e édition, Paris: Maison Platt, 1999.
- Droulers, Frédéric, Répertoire General des Monnaies de Louis XIII à Louis XVI (1610-1792), 4e édition. Paris: AFPN, 2009.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3032, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.
- 1694-X écu aux palmes
- 1695-A écu aux palmes
- 1695-C écu aux palmes
- 1695-D écu aux palmes
- 1695-E écu aux palmes
- 1696-D quart d'écu aux palmes
- 1696-H demi-écu aux palmes
- 1696-W demi-écu carambole
- 1696-P écu aux palmes
- 1696-BB double louis d'or aux 4 L
- 1697-A écu aux palmes
- Coins and currency dated 1696
- return to French Royal coinage (to 1793)