France 1696-T louis d'or
This specimen was lot 30762 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $840. The catalog description noted, "Louis XIV gold Louis d'or 1696-T AU58 PCGS, Nantes mint. Reused flan. Essentially Mint State, but struck using a highly deteriorated obverse die that had lost much of the sharper detail in Louis XIV's portrait and shows numerous surrounding re-engraved lines in the die that were placed in an attempt to embolden the detail and extend the die's life. A highly curious coin as such." This type, known as a louis d'or aux 4 L, was struck in France 1693-1700, mostly over older coins. Many mints contributed in 1696.
Recorded mintage: unknown, all restruck.
Specification: 6.75 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: Fr-433; Gad-252; Dup-1439; KM 302.18, Gad-252, Dr/4 no. 412, Dr/2 no. 266.
- Droulers, Frédéric, Répertoire General des Monnaies de Louis XIII à Louis XVI (1610-1792), 4e édition. Paris: AFPN, 2009.
- Duplessy, Jean, Les Monnaies Françaises Royales de Hugues Capet à Louis XVI (987-1793), Tome II, 2e édition, Paris: Maison Platt, 1999.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3032, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.
- 1695-A demi-louis d'or aux 4 L
- 1695-A louis d'or aux 4 L
- 1695-B louis d'or aux 4 L
- 1695-E louis d'or aux 4 L
- 1695-V louis d'or aux 4 L
- 1696-D quart d'écu aux palmes
- 1696-H demi-écu aux palmes
- 1696-X demi-écu aux palmes
- 1696-W demi-écu carambole
- 1696-P écu aux palmes
- 1696-X écu aux palmes
- 1696-BB double louis d'or aux 4 L
- 1697-M louis d'or aux 4 L
- Coins and currency dated 1696
- return to French Royal coinage (to 1793)