France 1692-9 4 sols
The specimen shown is a four sols aux deux L struck in Paris during the reign of Louis XIV of France. This type was struck 1691-1700 in large quantities, mostly overstriking older 4 sols de Traitants of 1674-77 ("flans reformés"). It is recorded for the Rennes mint for the entire period. The denomination was not struck again during Louis XIV's reign, but in the ten year period of issue over 120 million were made, many by private contractors, which perhaps accounts for the crude strike shown on this specimen. This specimen was part of lot 29055 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), which sold for $240. The catalog description noted, "Louis XIV. Group of Four Minor Silver Coins, 3) 4 Sols aux 2 L 1692-9 AU, Rennes mint, Medium gray on a large flan. Slightly bent, with a few scratches on each side. ...From the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens."
Recorded mintage: 4,380,699, all rf.
Specification: 1.63 g, .833 fine silver, 19-21 mm diameter, plain edge, designed by Joseph Roéttiers.
Catalog reference: Dr/4 no. 756, Dr/2 no. 460, KM 281.20, Gad-106.
- Droulers, Frédéric, Répertoire General des Monnaies de Louis XIII à Louis XVI (1610-1792), 4e édition. Paris: AFPN, 2009.
- Duplessy, Jean, Les Monnaies Françaises Royales de Hugues Capet à Louis XVI (987-1793), Tome II, 2e édition, Paris: Maison Platt, 1999.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.
- 1691-P 4 sols aux deux L
- 1691-X 4 sols aux deux L
- 1691-& 4 sols aux deux L
- 1691-9 4 sols aux deux L
- 1692-A 4 sols aux deux L
- 1692-P 4 sols aux deux L
- 1692-H quart d'écu aux palmes
- 1692-K écu aux 8 L
- 1692-P écu aux 8 L
- 1692-A louis d'or à l'écu
- 1692-D louis d'or à l'écu
- 1692-L louis d'or à l'écu
- 1693-A quinzain
- 1694-A 1/12 écu aux palmes
- Coins and currency dated 1692
- return to French Royal coinage (to 1793)