France 1687-D louis d'or
This specimen was lot 20196 in Stack's Bowers 2018 NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "FRANCE. Louis d'Or, 1687-D. Lyon Mint. Louis XIV (1643-1715). NGC MS-63. A louis d'or à la perruque from a type struck at Lyon 1683-89. A VERY RARE type and the first we have offered since 2008, as most were restruck into louis d'or à l'écu in the 1690's. Very lustrous but slightly weak strike on the portrait. Soft satin luster and quite attractive." This specimen is a louis d'or à la perruque, struck at the Lyon mint 1683-89. The type was superseded by the louis d'or à l'écu which was issued 1690-93. While no gold coins of Louis XIV can be called inexpensive, this period is scarce with no common dates.
Reported Mintage: 304,886.
Specification: 6.75 g, .917 fine gold, plain edge, designed by Joseph Roéttiers.
Catalog reference: Fr-426; KM-256.2; Gad-249, Dr/4 no. 376b, Dr/2 no. 252.
- Droulers, Frédéric, Répertoire General des Monnaies de Louis XIII à Louis XVI (1610-1792), 4e édition. Paris: AFPN, 2009.
- Duplessy, Jean, Les Monnaies Françaises Royales de Hugues Capet à Louis XVI (987-1793), Tome II, 2e édition, Paris: Maison Platt, 1999.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Royales Françaises, 1610-1792, 4me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2012.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.