France 1686-LL ecu
The first specimen was lot 21147 in Heritage sale 3008 (New York, January 2011), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "Louis XIIII Ecu de Flandre 1686-IL (Lille), VF, lightly patinated surfaces, rare type featuring the arms of France and Old and New Burgundy. Small natural edge crack at the top." The second specimen was lot 20830 in Heritage sale 3004 (New York, January 2009), where it sold for $4,025. The catalog description noted, "Louis XIIII Ecu 1686LL, XF45 NGC. Lille mint. Ecu Carambole/Blanc (1685-1686). Also known contemporarily as an Ecu de Bourgogne. The only French Ecu not struck to the usual 11D's fine standard. The coins were struck from old Spanish silver. The Ecu de Flandre was valued at 80 Sols (.40g fine silver/sol). Circulation was restricted to the Belgian provinces ceded by Spain in the recent wars. The usual Royal Ecu valued at 60 Sols resulted in a Sol of .42g fine silver. There is light toning with some luster in the devices. Even wear with no significant flaws. A superior type specimen of this most interesting provincial French Ecu. From the Grundy Collection." Struck 1685-86 from only a few mints, this is one of the rarest of French coin types. Half écus (Gad-182) also exist and are more available. The Lille mint switched to the "W" mintmark in 1693 and minted coins until 1857.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 37.65 g, .857 fine silver, edge lettered "DOMINE SALVUM FAC REGEM", designed by Norbert Roéttiers; the second specimen 37.45 g.
Catalog reference: Dav-3810, Gad-215, KM 257.2, Dr/4 no. 503.
- Droulers, Frédéric, Répertoire General des Monnaies de Louis XIII à Louis XVI (1610-1792), 4e édition. Paris: AFPN, 2009.
- Duplessy, Jean, Les Monnaies Françaises Royales de Hugues Capet à Louis XVI (987-1793), Tome II, 2e édition, Paris: Maison Platt, 1999.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1600-1700, Galesburg, IL, 1974.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3008: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3004: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2009.
- 1685-A écu de Flandre
- 1686-A demi-écu de Flandre
- 1686-L 1/16 écu de Flandre
- 1686-LL 1/8 écu de Flandre
- 1686-LL demi-écu de Flandre
- 1686-A écu à la perruque
- 1686 louis d'or à la perruque
- 1688-L quart d'écu de Flandre
- 1689-A écu à la perruque
- 1690-S écu aux 8 L
- Coins and currency dated 1686
- return to French Royal coinage (to 1793)