France 1681-L ecu
"Ecu à la cravate 1681. Bayonne Fast sehr schön-gutes sehr schön. (kingdom of France, Louis XIV, écu of the necktie of 1681, Bayonne mint, good very fine.)"This type was struck 1672-85 in fairly large quantities but was the victim of repeated "reformations," where older écus were called in and restruck. As a result, the type is rare today. It was succeeded by the écu drapé à l'antique of 1684-87. Droulers prices this date as common, but even a common date is priced over three times that of an écu à la mèche longue.
Recorded mintage: 441,668 approx.
Specification: 27.45 g, .917 fine silver, 37-41 mm diameter, plain edge, designed by F. Warin, this specimen 26.94 g.
Catalog reference: Duplessy 1493. Dav-3805, Dr/4 no. 474.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1600-1700, Galesburg, IL, 1974.
- Droulers, Frédéric, Répertoire General des Monnaies de Louis XIII à Louis XVI (1610-1792), 4e édition. Paris: AFPN, 2009.
- Duplessy, Jean, Les Monnaies Françaises Royales de Hugues Capet à Louis XVI (987-1793), Tome II, 2e édition, Paris: Maison Platt, 1999.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Royales Françaises, 1610-1792, 4me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2012.
- Numismatic Coins, Medals, & Banknotes: Auction 18, Zurich: SINCONA AG, 2014.