France 1679-A ecu
The first specimen shown is an écu à la cravate ("écu of the necktie") struck in Paris during the reign of Louis XIV of France. It was lot 1420 in Jean Elsen sale 94 (Brussels, December 2007), where it sold for 1,200 euro. The second specimen was lot 20826 in Heritage sale 3004 (New York, January 2009), where it sold for $2,300. The catalog description noted, "Louis XIIII Ecu 1679A, AU53 NGC. Paris mint. Ecu du Parlement-Type 1 (1672-1683). Sharply struck with nice original toning and near mark-free surfaces. A superior example of the type. From the Grundy Collection." This type was struck 1672-85 in fairly large quantities but was the victim of repeated "reformations," where older écus were called in and restruck. As a result, the type is rare today. It was succeeded by the écu drapé à l'antique of 1684-87. Droulers prices this date as common, but even a common date is priced over three times that of an écu à la mèche longue.
Recorded mintage: 1,480,000 approximately.
Specification: 27.45 g, .917 fine silver, 37-41 mm diameter, plain edge, designed by F. Warin, the second specimen was 27.27 g.
Catalog reference: Gad-209, Dr/4 no. 454, Dr/2 no. 341, KM 226.1, Dav-3805.
- Droulers, Frédéric, Répertoire General des Monnaies de Louis XIII à Louis XVI (1610-1792), 4e édition. Paris: AFPN, 2009.
- Duplessy, Jean, Les Monnaies Françaises Royales de Hugues Capet à Louis XVI (987-1793), Tome II, 2e édition, Paris: Maison Platt, 1999.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Royales Françaises, 1610-1792, 4me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2012.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3004: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2008.
- 1652-C écu à la mèche longue
- 1667-9 écu au buste juvénile
- 1673-A écu à la cravate
- 1679-B demi-écu à la cravate
- 1679-B écu à la cravate
- 1679-9 écu à la cravate
- 1679-A louis d'or à la tête virile
- 1679-L Louis d'or à la tête virile
- 1680-9 écu à la cravate
- 1691-B écu aux 8 L
- Coins and currency dated 1679
- return to French Royal coinage (to 1793)