France (1445) ecu d'or Fr-307
"FRANCE, Königreich, Charles VII. 1422-1461 Ecu dor à la couronne o. J. (3. Typ, 2. Emission, 2.8.1445). Montpellier. Sehr schön. Leicht gewellt. (kingdom of France, Charles VII, 1422-61, undated écu d'or à la couronne, Montpellier mint. Very fine, Lightly wavy planchet.)"This coin was issued before the modern system of mintmarks was introduced by Francis I in 1540. Prior to that date, mints used various secret marks to identify and date their product. This otherwise undated and unmintmarked coin is thereby noted as being produced by the Montpellier mint (later mintmark "N") as part of the second emission of August 1445. Duplessy notes this coin had a face value of 25 sols tournois at the time of issue. Six emissions are recorded for this type:
- 1st emission (January 1436): 3.49 g, 1.000 fine gold, value 25 sols;
- 2nd emission (August 1445, shown here): 3.47 g, .989 fine gold;
- 3rd emission (January 1447): 3.47 g, .979 fine gold, value raised to 27 sols, 6 deniers;
- 4th emission (May 1447): 3.47 g, .989 fine gold;
- 5th emission (January 1448): 3.47 g, .979 fine gold;
- 6th emission (May 1450): 3.47 g, .963 fine gold.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.471 g, .989 fine gold, this specimen 3.08 g.
Catalog reference: Duplessy 511A. Fr-307.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Jürg Richter, Auction 38, Gold Coins and Medals, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2017.
- Duplessy, Jean, Les Monnaies Françaises Royales de Hugues Capet à Louis XVI (987-1793), Tome I, 2e édition, Paris: Maison Platt, 1999.
- (1431) royal d'or
- (1436) écu d'or, 1st emission, Toulouse mint
- (1445) demi-écu d'or, 2nd emission, Toulouse mint
- (1445) écu d'or à la couronne, 2nd emission, Toulouse mint
- (1447) demi-écu d'or à la couronne
- (1450) écu d'or à la couronne, sixth emission
- (1455) gros du Roi, Montpellier mint
- Coins and currency dated 1445
- return to French Royal coinage (to 1793)