France (1445)-Toulouse ecu d'or Fr-307
This specimen was lot 40153 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2019), where it sold for $1,320. The catalog description noted, "FRANCE. Ecu d'Or, ND (2nd emission, 12 August 1445). Toulouse Mint. Charles VII (1422-61). PCGS MS-62 Gold Shield. A fabulous piece, struck on a nice round flan with full legends on both sides, bright lemon yellow surfaces beaming with luster and loads of eye appeal. The legitimacy of Charles VII's rule was based upon Joan of Arc's visions of the Archangel Michael, Saint Margaret and Saint Catherine instructing her to support the then uncrowned king. Highly desirable for its historical links to this dramatic portion of French history." This coin was issued before the modern system of mintmarks was introduced by Francis I in 1540. Prior to that date, mints used various secret marks to identify and date their product. This otherwise undated and unmintmarked coin is thereby noted as being produced by the Toulouse mint (later mintmark "M") as part of the second emission of August 1445. Duplessy notes this coin had a face value of 25 sols tournois at the time of issue. Six emissions are recorded for this type:
- 1st emission (January 1436): 3.49 g, 1.000 fine gold, value 25 sols;
- 2nd emission (August 1445, shown here): 3.47 g, .989 fine gold;
- 3rd emission (January 1447): 3.47 g, .979 fine gold, value raised to 27 sols, 6 deniers;
- 4th emission (May 1447): 3.47 g, .989 fine gold;
- 5th emission (January 1448): 3.47 g, .979 fine gold;
- 6th emission (May 1450): 3.47 g, .963 fine gold.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.471 g, .989 fine gold, this specimen 3.45 grams.
Catalog reference: Fr-307; Dupl-511a; Ciani-634.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, Matt Orsini and Cris Chatigny, The January 2019 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.
- Duplessy, Jean, Les Monnaies Françaises Royales de Hugues Capet à Louis XVI (987-1793), Tome I, 2e édition, Paris: Maison Platt, 1999.
- (1431) royal d'or
- (1436) écu d'or, 1st emission, Toulouse mint
- (1445) demi-écu d'or, 2nd emission, Toulouse mint
- (1445) écu d'or à la couronne, 2nd emission, Montpellier mint
- (1447) demi-écu d'or à la couronne
- (1450) écu d'or à la couronne, sixth emission
- (1455) gros du Roi, Montpellier mint
- Coins and currency dated 1445
- return to French Royal coinage (to 1793)