France (1423) ecu d'or Fr-306
This specimen was lot 22481 in Stack's Bowers 2018 NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "FRANCE. Ecu d'Or, ND. Charles VII (1422-61). NGC MS-62. Struck on a nice round flan with full legends on both sides. Well impressed detail without any doubling. Just a light coat of tone, lustrous with good eye appeal." This specimen is from the first emission of January 1423 and seems to lack the dot denoting the mint. The second thru seventh emissions occurred 1423-29. Altho the weight and fineness inevitably slipped, all were declared equal to 25 sols tournois.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.82 g, 1.000 fine gold.
Catalog reference: Fr-306; Dupl-453; Ciani-614.
- Duplessy, Jean, Les Monnaies Françaises Royales de Hugues Capet à Louis XVI (987-1793), Tome I, 2e édition, Paris: Maison Platt, 1999.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- (1417) agnel d'or
- (1418) demi-heaume d'or
- (1423) agnel d'or
- (1423) salut d'or, Paris mint, Henry VI
- (1423) salut d'or, Nevers mint, Henry VI
- (1423) salut d'or, Rouen mint, Henry VI
- (1429) royal d'or, Poitiers mint
- (1429) royal d'or, Tours mint
- Coins and currency dated 1423
- return to French Royal coinage (to 1793)