England (1547-51) 1/2 sovereign Fr-174
This specimen was lot 20069 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $2,115. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Edward VI, 1547-1553. Half Sovereign, ND (1547-51). E. Southwark. Posthumous titles of Henry VIII. Seated king with orb and scepter, youthful face. Rv. Crowned shield supported by lion and rampant dragon. ‘E’ at base. A rare and important type, with interesting small die breaks on the obverse. There are some tooling marks noted across the king. This example creates an excellent first impression. Very Fine Details. Ex: Lubbock, 1981." This half sovereign was tariffed at ten shillings. This specimen is a rare product of the Southwark mint.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: gold, 100 grains; this specimen 95.8 grains.
Catalog reference: S-2394; North-1866; Fr-174.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Bruce Roland Hagen, Ponterio sale 176: The Thos. H. Law Collection of English Gold Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- England (1544-47) 1/2 sovereign Fr-167
- England (1544-47) sovereign Fr-166
- England (1544-47) testoon
- England (1547-53) shilling
- England (1549-50) 1/2 sovereign Fr-181
- England (1549-50) 1/2 sovereign Fr-181a
- England (1549-50) sovereign Fr-180
- Coins and currency dated 1547
- return to coins of Great Britain