England (1466-67) rose noble Fr-132
"GREAT BRITAIN. Edward IV, First Reign, 1461-1470. Ryal or Rose Noble, ND (1466-67). Crown. Light Coinage. King standing on ship, holding sword and shield; rose at side of ship and ‘E’ on stern. Rv. Sun at center surrounded by alternating crown/lion and lis within double tressure of eight arches. A new denomination introduced in this reign at 120 grains standard for 10 shillings. Exceptionally round with complete legends. Cleaned long ago and retoned in a very pleasing golden hue. A handsome piece. Very Fine. Ex: Carr, 1973."The second specimen was lot 21016 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $7,200. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Ryal, ND (1464-70). Edward IV, First Reign (1461-70). PCGS MS-62 Secure Holder. Sun mint mark. Light coinage. King standing on ship, holding sword and shield; rose at side of ship and 'E' on stern; Reverse: Sun at center surrounded by alternating crown/lion and lis within double tressure of eight arches. Fully detailed and lustrous with complete peripheral legends. Rich golden toned throughout. A choice coin with exceptional eye appeal." Lobel notes that in the 1460's the price of gold rose to where nobles were being exported from England to the Continent. To forestall this, in 1464 the king raised the value of the noble to eight shillings four pence and introduced a new coin, the rose noble, tariffed at ten shillings. It was superseded in 1470 by the gold angel. Despite the auction description of the second specimen, it bears a crown mintmark, not a sun mintmark.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: gold, 120 grains (7.8 g); the first specimen 115.8 grains, the second specimen 7.69 g.
Catalog reference: S-1950; North-1549; Fr-132.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Bruce Roland Hagen, Ponterio sale 176: The Thos. H. Law Collection of English Gold Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.