Ecuador 1846-GJ 8 reales
"Ecuador - Republic. 8 Reales, 1846-GJ (Quito). Liberty type. Draped bust of Liberty left, with brooch and earring. Reverse: Oval shield displaying radiant sun, on astrological course, over high peak and steamship on water, the whole supported by fasces, with crossed flags and wreath behind, and condor above. Choice detailed strike. The devices softly lustrous on proof-like fields. Appealing medium to deep smokey toning comprised of steely golds to copper, amid cobalt, blue-greens, and violet. The first crown of Ecuador. One of the finest known examples. NGC graded MS-64. Ecuador is also in possession of the Galapagos Islands, 600 miles west of the mainland. Here is probably the best environment to study and observe natural animal species in their own, relatively undisturbed, environment. From giant tortoises to boobie birds, to marine iguanas, the experience of being an amateur naturalist is unforgettable. It was here that Charles Darwin spent much of his time studying and organizing his ideas on The Origin of Species."
The third specimen was lot 20386 in Ponterio sale 161 (Chicago, August 2011), where it sold for $6,325. The catalog description noted, "ECUADOR. Quito. 8 Reales, 1846-GJ. Low Mintage One Year Type. RARE. Nicely Toned. NGC AU-53." This type was struck this year only and has always been rare and popular. No other eight reales is recorded for Ecuador.
Recorded mintage: 1,386.
Specification: the KM gives 25 g, .900 fine silver, but as the Millenia specimen was reported as 26.91 grams, it seems the conventional 27.07 g usual for colonial eight reales was intended.
Catalog reference: Seppa-EC-70; Carr-63; WR-1; Eliz-1; KM 32.
- Goldberg, Ira, and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg Sale 46: the Millenia Collection, Beverly Hills, CA: Ira and Larry Goldberg Auctioneers, 2008.
- Ponterio, Rick, et al., Ponterio sale 161: The Chicago ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's-Bowers, LLC, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Raymond, Wayte, The Silver Dollars of North and South America, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1964.