Denmark 1842-FK 16 rigsbankskilling
This specimen was lot 178 in Classical Numismatic Group's sale of the Lissner Collection (Chicago, August 2014), where it sold for $459.80. The catalog description noted, "DENMARK. Christian VIII. 1839-1848. AR 16 Rigsbankskilling – 5 Skilling. København (Copenhagen) mint. Georg Wilhelm Svendsen, mintmaster. Frederik Christopher Krohn, engraver. Dated 1842 FK VS. In NGC encapsulation graded MS 66. Dual denominated for use in Schleswig-Holstein. Gem gray-silver patina. A two year type and highest ever graded specimen. Top pop. Purchased from Frank Lapa, August 1970." Danish currency endured several "reforms" in the nineteenth century. Until 1813, 1 ducat = 2 speciedaler = 12 mark = 192 skilling Danske. After the reform of 1813, 1 frederiks d'or = 5 speciedaler = 10 rigsbankdaler = 960 rigsbankskilling. In 1854, the speciedaler was dropped but the remaining denominations were unchanged. In 1874, all the old denominations were terminated in favor of 1 krone = 100 øre, which system is still in use, tho the krone is no longer silver. The sixteen rigsbankskilling was struck 1842 and 1844 only. The "5 SCHILLING COURANT" marks this coin's value in Schleswig-Holstein, then under Danish rule.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 4.21 g, .500 fine silver, this specimen 21 mm diameter, 4.16 g, 12h axis.
Catalog reference: KM 733; C 125.
- Teller, M. Louis, and Victor England, Jr., The Richard Lissner Collection, Lancaster, PA: Classical Numismatic Group, 2014.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Siegs Møntcatalog 2016: Danmark med Omrader, 48 ed., Frederikssund, Siegs Forlag ApS, 2015.
- Denmark 1842-FF 1/5 rigsbankskilling
- Denmark 1842-FK 1/2 rigsbankskilling
- Denmark 1842-FK rigsbankskilling
- Denmark 1842-FK 2 rigsbankskilling
- Denmark 1842-FF 3 rigsbankskilling
- Denmark 1842-FK 4 rigsbankskilling
- 1843 8 rigsbankskilling
- 1843 32 rigsbankskilling
- Coins and currency dated 1842
- return to coins of Denmark