Cundinamarca 1820-JF 2 reales
This specimen was lot 42373 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $4,560. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. Cundinamarca. 1820-JF 2 Reales. Bogotá mint. AU-55 (PCGS). Boldly lustrous steel gray with exceptional eye appeal. Well struck and finely detailed, with minimal central granularity on the obverse and none on the reverse. The reverse is swollen a bit at left, the obverse less notably at right. Aside from trivial hairlines, a choice piece, and one with superb eye appeal." This type was struck for Cundinamarca province 1820-21 and 1823. A similar type (KM 77) was also struck for the shortlived regime of Nueva Granada in 1819-20 but it is much scarcer.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 4.98 g, .666 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM C5, Restrepo 155.2.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.
- Santa Marta 1820 1/4 real
- 1820 ¼ real
- 1820-JF 2 reales (Nueva Granada)
- 1820-P FM 2 reales
- 1820-P MF 2 reales
- Cundinamarca 1820-JF 8 reales
- 1820-JF 8 reales, LIBERTAD AMERICANA
- 1820-NR 1 escudo
- 1820-NR 8 escudos
- 1820-P 8 escudos
- 1820-Pn FM 8 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1820
- return to coins of Colombia