Constance 1652 ducat Fr-844

From CoinFactsWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Kunker sale 264, lot 3736
This specimen was lot 3736 in Künker sale 264 (Osnabrück, June 2015), where it sold for €7,500 (about US$9,689 including buyer's fees). The catalog description[1] noted,
"STADT Dukat 1652, mit Titel Ferdinands III. Das Stadtwappen von Konstanz in verzierter Kartusche//Gekrönter Doppeladler, auf der Brust österreichischer Bindenschild, oben Krone. GOLD. RR Min. gewellt, fast vorzüglich. Der Reichsadler, den die Rückseite dieses raren Dukaten zeigt, ist mit dem österreichischen Bindenschild belegt. Die Habsburger brachten vor allem im 14. und 15. Jahrhundert zahlreiche Gebiete im Breisgau, in Schwaben und im Vorarlberg an sich, die zusammenfassend als Vorderösterreich bezeichnet wurden. 1548 erwarben die Habsburger auch die Stadt Konstanz. Dadurch gehörte die Stadt Konstanz dem österreichischen Reichskreis an, während das Bistum Konstanz kreisausschreibender Stand im schwäbischen Reichskreis war. (City of Constance, ducat of 1652, in the name of Ferdinand III. Obverse: The coat of arms of Constance in ornate cartouche; reverse: Crowned double-headed eagle supporting crowned Austrian arms. Rare, somewhat wavy, choice extremely fine. The imperial eagle shown on the back of this rare ducat is supporting the Austrian shield. The Habsburgs bought mainly in the 14th and 15th centuries numerous areas in Breisgau, in Swabia and in Vorarlberg itself, which were collectively referred to as Further Austria. In 1548, the Habsburgs acquired the city of Konstanz. Thus, the city of Constance belonged to the Austrian Circle, while the bishopric of Konstanz was in the Swabian Circle.)"
Constance is a town on the shores of the lake of the same name. Though it has always been surrounded by Swiss territory, it was never part of the Swiss Confederation. Originally ecclesiastical territory, the town wrested its independence during the Reformation and maintained it until Napoleon handed it to the Grand Duchy of Baden.

Recorded mintage: unknown but rare.

Specification: 3.5 g, .986 fine gold, this specimen 3,44 g.

Catalog reference: Fr-844; Nau 232, KM 161.

Source:

  • Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
  • Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
  • [1]Künker Münzauktionen und Goldhandel, Catalog 264, Gold coins | Russian Coins and Medals | German Coins after 1871, Osnabrück: Fritz Rudolf Künker GmbH & Co., AG, 2015

Link to: