Colombia 1980 15000 pesos Fr-142
The first specimen was lot 72095 in Stack's Bowers Collectors Choice Online Auction (Santa Ana, CA, May 2017), where it sold for $705. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 15000 Pesos, 1980. NGC PROOF-69 ULTRA CAMEO. 150th Anniversary of the Death of Jose Maria Cordova. Hard mirror fields with frosted cameo devices. Without tone, bright and attractive." The second specimen was lot 44561 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $960. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 15,000 Pesos, 1980. PROOF-68 DEEP CAMEO (PCGS). Bust of Jose Maria Cordova. Hard mirrored fields and frosted cameo devices. Sold with red display case. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian Coins." This commemorative was accompanied by a gold 30,000 pesos, on the death of Bolivar (Fr-141) and a gold 15,000 pesos, on the death of Sucre (Fr-143). Cordova was killed in battle at the age of thirty in 1829 after rebelling against Bolivar.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 17.29 g, .900 fine gold, .497 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-142; KM-278.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.
- Ponterio, Rick, et al., The May 2017 Collector's Choice Sale, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.