Colombia 1971 1500 pesos
This specimen was lot 30643 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $2,940. The catalog description noted, "Republic gold 'Pan-American Games' Proof 1500 Pesos 1971 PR66 Ultra Cameo NGC. The largest denomination from a 5-piece set, struck for the 6th Pan-American games held in Cali, Colombia in 1971. Better than most seen, many show significant marks from coin to coin contact as a result of the original box of issue which did not tightly secure the coins in their designated place." Nickel five pesos (KM 247), gold 100 pesos (KM 248), 200 pesos (KM 249), 300 pesos (KM 250) and 500 pesos (KM 252) were also issued for this occasion.
Recorded mintage: est. 6,000.
Specification: 64.50 g, .900 fine gold, 1.854 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 252.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.
- Colombia 1970 20 centavos
- Colombia 1970 50 centavos
- Colombia 1971 centavo
- 1971 5 pesos, 6th Pan American Games
- 1971 100 pesos, 6th Pan American Games, native javelin
- 1971 200 pesos, 6th Pan American Games, native runner
- 1971 300 pesos, 6th Pan American Games, Bochica
- 1971 500 pesos, 6th Pan American Games
- 1973 1500 pesos
- return to coins of Colombia
- Coins and currency dated 1971