Colombia 1875-P 20 pesos
"1875 20 pesos. Popayán mint. MS-65 (NGC). Types as above. Intense yellow gold lustre with rich orange highlights. Typical crude style, struck from the same dies as the Norweb coin. A superb example with full cartwheel lustre, an ideal high grade type coin. The Norweb coin was in similar grade, called 'choice mint state and highly lustrous,' and brought $3,520. From Stack's sale of the Col. James W. Flanagan Collection, March 1944, Lot 512."
This type was struck at Bogotá (1862-77), Medellin (1867-72) and Popayán (1863-78). All are scarce and many dates are rare.
Recorded mintage: 5,240.
Specification: 32.26 g, .900 fine gold, .933 troy oz AGW; this specimen: 32.02 grams, 32.90 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM 142.3, Fr-99.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.
- 1874-P 20 pesos
- 1875-B 2½ centavos
- 1875-P ¼ décimo
- 1875-P ½ décimo
- 1875-M 5 décimos
- 1875-B 5 centavos
- 1875-M 5 centavos
- 1875-B 10 centavos
- 1875-M 20 centavos
- 1875-B 50 centavos
- 1875-B gold peso
- 1875-B 20 pesos
- 1880-P 50 centavos
- Coins and currency dated 1875
- other specimens in The Eliasberg Collection
- return to coins of Colombia