Colombia 1875-B 20 pesos
"Colombia. 20 Pesos, 1875 (Bogotá). Diademed head of Liberty left. Reverse: Bannered arms surmounted by Condor; value, fineness, and mint. Well struck up, with very lustrous fields - the reverse design now in lower relief. Little actual wear, but handling marks apparent on obverse. Rare in this state of preservation. This coin the rarest of the type. NGC graded MS-60. This coin was issued during the period known as the United States of Colombia. Decimal coinage was now in effect. 10 Decimos equalled one Peso. The name United States would last until 1886 when the Republic of Colombia became the official title. This title is still in force today."
This type was struck at Bogotá (1862-77), Medellin (1867-72) and Popayán (1863-78). All are scarce and many dates are rare.
Recorded mintage: 1,696.
Specification: 32.26 g, .900 fine gold, .933 troy oz AGW; this specimen: 32.10 grams.
Catalog reference: Restrepo M336.11, Fr-99; KM 142.1.
- Goldberg, Ira, and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg Sale 46: the Millenia Collection, Beverly Hills, CA: Ira and Larry Goldberg Auctioneers, 2008.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.
- 1874-B 20 pesos
- 1875-B 2½ centavos
- 1875-P ¼ décimo
- 1875-P ½ décimo
- 1875-M 5 décimos
- 1875-B 5 centavos
- 1875-M 5 centavos
- 1875-B 10 centavos
- 1875-M 20 centavos
- 1875-B 50 centavos
- 1875-B gold peso
- 1875-M 10 pesos
- 1875-P 20 pesos
- 1876-B 20 pesos
- 1878-B peso oro
- Coins and currency dated 1875
- other specimens in The Millenia Collection
- return to coins of Colombia