Colombia 1874-M AB 10 pesos
This specimen was lot 12259 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $10,200. The catalog description noted, "Likely Unique 1874-AB 10 Pesos. The Norweb Discovery Specimen. COLOMBIA. 1874-AB 10 Pesos. Medellín mint. AU Detail — Bent (PCGS). This piece and the one that follows are two of the most important date rarities in the Colombian series. They are inextricably linked: both are unique, both come from the Norweb Collection, both were sold in the same two-coin lot in 1997, and neither date was previously documented before the publication of the Norweb sale catalog. Both are described as "one known" in Restrepo, and both appear to remain unique. This piece is light yellow gold with some rose highlights around peripheral elements. No bend is evident in the current encapsulation. The devices are sharp, and no heavy marks are noted. The presence of this piece (or the next) will be the hallmark of a very serious Colombian gold cabinet. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From Spink America's sale of the Norweb Collection, March 1997, lot 590." This type, the last gold ten pesos from Colombia, was struck at Medellin 1873-76 using a bust of Libertad designed by Barré of France. While not cheap, it is considerably more available than the five pesos.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 16.13 g, .900 fine gold.
Catalog reference: Restrepo M334.2, KM 141.4, Fr-104.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.
- 1873-M 10 pesos
- 1874 1¼ centavos
- 1874-P ¼ décimo
- 1874-B 2½ centavos
- 1874-B ¼ décimo
- Colombia 1874-B 5 centavos
- 1874-M AB ½ décimo
- 1874-B 10 centavos, shield reverse
- 1874-B 10 centavos, cornucopia reverse
- 1874-M AB décimo
- Colombia 1874-M 2 decimos
- Colombia 1874-B 50 centavos
- 1874-P 5 décimos
- Colombia 1874-M 5 decimos
- Colombia 1874-B peso oro
- 1874-B 20 pesos
- 1875-M 10 pesos
- Coins and currency dated 1874
- return to coins of Colombia