Colombia 1874-B 20 pesos
This specimen was lot 30376 in Heritage sale 3035 (Long Beach, September 2014), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "Republic gold 20 Pesos 1874-B AU58 NGC, Bogotá mint. A most attractive specimen of this rare issue, very lustrous with scattered handling marks keeping it from the Mint State designation. With a reported mintage of only 1,656 pieces, available examples are elusive in any grade, with the present coin ranking among the finest: only two examples have been graded higher. A similar coin with heavier handling marks and graded AU53 by NGC hammered at $3,000 in Sedwick's auction # 9 (lot 375)." This type was struck at Bogotá (1862-77), Medellin (1867-72) and Popayán (1863-78). All are scarce and many dates are rare.
Recorded mintage: 1,656.
Specification: 32.26 g, .900 fine gold, .933 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-99; KM 142.1, Restrepo-336.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, and Warren Tucker, Heritage Signature Auction 3035, World and Ancient Coins, featuring the FoxLair Collection and the Law Collection, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.
- 1873-M 10 pesos
- 1874 1¼ centavos
- 1874-P ¼ décimo
- 1874-B 2½ centavos
- 1874-B ¼ décimo
- Colombia 1874-B 5 centavos
- 1874-M AB ½ décimo
- 1874-B 10 centavos, shield reverse
- 1874-B 10 centavos, cornucopia reverse
- 1874-M AB décimo
- Colombia 1874-M 2 decimos
- Colombia 1874-B 50 centavos
- 1874-P 5 décimos
- Colombia 1874-M 5 decimos
- Colombia 1874-B peso oro
- 1874-M 10 pesos
- 1874-P 20 pesos
- 1875-P 20 pesos
- 1875-B 20 pesos
- Coins and currency dated 1874
- return to coins of Colombia