Colombia 1871-B peso oro
This specimen was lot 40311 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $3,000. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1871 Peso. Bogotá mint. MS-62 (NGC). A rarity in the series, with just three known to Restrepo and only a very small number of survivors known overall. Rich and lustrous deep orange gold with lighter yellow highlights on the contrasting devices. Subtle pastel tones become visible under a light, showing excellent originality. The two radial die cracks seen on the obverse near 11:00 and 5:00 may have condemned this date to rarity. Far nicer than its grade suggests, a high class example of this elusive first year of the type. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian Coins." This type was struck at Bogotá in 1871-75 and 1878. Medellín also struck this type.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 1.61 g, .900 fine gold, .046 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Restrepo 322.1, KM 157.1, Fr-109.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.
- 1870-P 20 pesos
- 1871-B ¼ décimo
- 1871-P ¼ décimo
- 1871-B ½ décimo
- 1871-M ½ décimo
- 1871-B décimo
- 1871-M 2 décimos
- 1871-B 5 décimos
- 1871-P 5 décimos
- 1871-B silver peso
- 1871-M peso
- 1871-M 2 pesos
- 1871-M 10 pesos
- 1871-P 20 pesos
- 1872-M gold peso, shield reverse
- 1872-M gold peso, condor reverse
- 1872-B gold peso
- Coins and currency dated 1871
- return to coins of Colombia