Colombia 1868-B 20 pesos
"1868 20 pesos. Bogotá mint. AU details (NCS). Types as above. Frosty medium yellow gold with abundant lustre and good eye appeal. Lightly cleaned, showing some hairlines, a bit granular at centers and with some very faint old pinscratches, but highly attractive for the type. Minor rim bruise beneath 9:00 on reverse. Close to Uncirculated in terms of actual wear and very desirable. From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942."The second specimen was lot 12273 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $2,640. The catalog description noted,
"COLOMBIA. 1868 20 Pesos. Bogotá mint. AU-55 (PCGS). Light yellow gold with strong luster and some peripheral reflectivity. A little granular at central obverse, some visible hairlines, but essentially free of bagmarks and displaying impressive aesthetic appeal. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From Hans M.F. Schulman, June 1968."This type was struck at Bogotá 1862-77, Medellin 1867-72 and Popayán 1863-78. Despite the steady issue, the type is rare and expensive.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 32.26 g, .900 fine gold, .933 troy oz AGW, the first specimen: 32.19 grams, 34.20 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Restrepo M336.4, KM 142.1, Fr-99.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.
- 1867-P 20 pesos
- 1867-B 2 decimos
- 1868-B medio décimo
- 1868-B decimo
- 1868-M 5 décimos
- 1868-M medio peso
- 1868-B 5 décimos
- 1868-B silver peso
- 1868-M 10 pesos
- 1868-M 20 pesos
- 1868-P 20 pesos
- 1869-M 5 decimos
- 1869-M silver peso
- Coins and currency dated 1868
- other specimens in The Eliasberg Collection
- return to coins of Colombia