Colombia 1864-M 5 pesos
"1864 5 pesos. Medellin mint. EF-45 (NGC). Head of Liberty to left, legends around/date and value in wreath. Medium gold with significant remaining lustre, natural rim clip at bottom of planchet, tiny rim nick at 10:00 on reverse. Scattered signs of handling but choice for the grade, and perhaps worthy of a higher grade based on its crude production. Very rare, unpriced in Friedberg and missing from most collections, including Norweb and Hammel. This Friedberg number was one of only 3 lacking from the remarkable collection of Colombian Republican issues formed by Hammel and dispersed in 1982. Sedwick called this one year issue RRRR, or less than 10 specimens known. Its rarity and the long time between public auction offerings makes it difficult to estimate accurately. This example has been off the market since 1935. From J.C. Morgenthau and Co. (Wayte Raymond)'s sale of the Waldo C. Newcomer collection, February 1935, Lot 263 (plated, 'very fine and rare,' $80); John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942."This type is unpriced in the SCWC. A similar five pesos struck in Bogotá in 1863 is also very rare.
Recorded mintage: 8,035.
Specification: 8.06 g, .900 fine gold, .233 troy oz AGW; this specimen: 8.02 grams, 22.10 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM 148, Fr-94.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.
- 1863-P silver peso
- 1863-M gold peso
- 1863-M 2 pesos
- 1863-M 5 pesos
- 1863-B 20 pesos
- 1863-P 20 pesos
- 1864-B ¼ décimo
- 1864-P ¼ decimo
- 1864-B ½ décimo
- 1864-B décimo
- 1864-P décimo
- 1864-M gold peso
- 1868-B 20 pesos
- Coins and currency dated 1864
- other specimens in The Eliasberg Collection
- return to coins of Colombia