Colombia 1849-B 16 pesos
"1849 16 pesos. Bogotá mint. AU-58 (NGC). Head of Liberty to left, legends around, date below/arms topped by condor, furled flags on either side, legends around. Medium yellow gold with orange toning highlights and far more lustre than usually seen on this rare issue. Minor edge nicks scattered around both sides, reverse scratches at 12:00 left of P of PESO. A sharp and attractive specimen with excellent surface quality. Sedwick calls this issue RRR, Restrepo calls it RRRR; either way, it is highly elusive and missing from most collections. This piece surpasses both of their plate coins and is of far above average quality. From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942."This type, struck at Bogotá 1848-53, is rare, unlike the earlier 16 pesos (Fr-74) of 1837-49.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 25.81 g, .900 fine gold, .746 troy oz AGW; this specimen: 25.79 grams, 32.50 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM 100, Fr-78.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.
- 1848-B 16 pesos
- 1848 10 reales
- 1849-P ¼ real
- 1849-B 2 reales, rosettes on reverse
- 1849-B 2 reales, caduceus on reverse
- 1849 10 reales
- 1849-B 2 pesos
- 1849-B RS 16 pesos
- Mexico 1849-C CE 8 escudos
- 1850 16 pesos
- Coins and currency dated 1849
- other specimens in The Eliasberg Collection
- return to coins of Colombia