Colombia 1846-B RS 16 pesos
This specimen was lot 30368 in Heritage sale 3035 (Long Beach, September 2014), where it sold for $2,820. The catalog description noted, "Republic gold 16 Pesos 1846 B-RS MS61 PCGS, Bogotá mint. Lustrous Mint State and thus very scarce and desirable for this large gold type usually encountered in lower grades. This appealing coin retains much mint bloom with scattered contact marks well within the confine[s] of the designation. From The Law Collection." This type, struck at Bogotá 1837-49, replaced the earlier 8 escudos (KM 82.1) and is identical in size and weight. It was also produced at Popayán. The type is common enough that some attempt to collect date sets. Assayer RS is listed for 1828-49.
Recorded mintage: unknown but common.
Specification: 27.07 g, .875 fine gold, .761 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM94.1, Fr-74.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, and Warren Tucker, Heritage Signature Auction 3035, World and Ancient Coins, featuring the FoxLair Collection and the Law Collection, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.
- 1845-B 16 pesos
- 1846-B ¼ real
- 1846-B ½ real
- 1846-P ½ real
- 1846-B real
- 1846-P real
- 1846 8 reales
- 1846-B 2 reales
- 1846-B gold peso
- 1846-P UE 2 pesos
- 1846-P UM 2 pesos
- 1846-P UE 16 pesos
- 1846-P UR 16 pesos
- 1846-P UM 16 pesos
- 1847-B 16 pesos
- 1849-B 16 pesos
- Coins and currency dated 1846
- return to coins of Colombia