Colombia 1843-B RS 16 pesos
This specimen was lot 1600 in the Eliasberg sale, where it sold for $1,035. The catalog description noted, "1843 RS 16 pesos. Bogotá mint. MS-62 (NGC). Types as above. Lustrous yellow gold with attractive orange gold overtones. Tiny reverse rim nicks at 1:00 and 7:00, typical scattered handling marks, a bit granular in areas. From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942." This type, struck at Bogotá 1837-49, replaced the earlier 8 escudos (KM 82.1) and is identical in size and weight. It was also produced at Popayán.
Recorded mintage: unknown but common.
Specification: 27.07 g, .875 fine gold, .761 troy oz AGW; this specimen: 26.96 grams, 36.20 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM 94.1, Fr-74.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.
- 1842-B 16 pesos
- 1842-B peso oro
- 1843-B ¼ real
- 1843-B ½ real
- 1843-P ½ real
- 1843-B real
- 1843-B 2 reales
- 1843-P 2 reales
- 1843-B 8 reales
- 1843-P VU 2 pesos
- 1843-P UM 2 pesos
- 1843-P 16 pesos
- 1844-P 2 pesos
- Coins and currency dated 1843
- other specimens in The Eliasberg Collection
- return to coins of Colombia