Colombia 1835-Ba RS 8 reales
The first specimen was lot 1029 in Goldberg sale 46 (Beverly Hills, May 2008), where it sold for $2,100.The catalog description noted,
"Colombia - Republic. 8 Reales, 1835/4-BA-RS (Bogotá). Fasces type. Fasces bound with bow and arrow, flanking cornucopiae. Reverse: Wreath with banner above; value and mintmarks within. Good even strike, and only lightly handled. Satiny to smooth fields, the obverse retaining its fine cartwheel luster. Lovely old deep toning, comprised of smokey deep golds to copper, with bold areas of violet and blue to green. NGC graded MS-62. These 'Ocho Reales' were sent to the Philippines in large quantities, and are usually seen counterstamped with a 'YII.' This indicates Queen Isabella II, and is distinguished from the earlier counterstamp 'F 7' indicating king Ferdinand VII."
This type was the first attempt by Colombia to strike eight reales since the Cundinamarca issues of 1819-21. It was struck 1834-36 in substantial numbers and is fairly available today in circulated condition. It was replaced in 1837 by KM 92.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.02 g, .835 fine silver, .725 troy oz ASW; this specimen: 26.98 grams.
Catalog reference: WR-9; Eliz-21; KM 89, Restr-158/2.
- Goldberg, Ira, and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg Sale 46: the Millenia Collection, Beverly Hills, CA: Ira and Larry Goldberg Auctioneers, 2008.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Raymond, Wayte, The Silver Dollars of North and South America, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1964.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.
- Cundinamarca 1821 8 reales
- 1835-B ¼ real
- 1835-B ½ real
- 1835-Pn ½ real
- 1835-B real
- 1835-B peso
- 1835-P escudo
- 1835-P escudo
- 1835-B 8 escudos
- 1835-P 8 escudos
- 1836 8 reales
- 1837-B 1 real
- Philippines (1834-37) c/s 8 reales KM-109
- 1837 8 reales (succeeding type)
- Coins and currency dated 1835
- other specimens in The Millenia Collection
- return to coins of Colombia