Colombia 1820-P FM 2 reales
This specimen is one of a type struck at Popayán 1810-20, during the reign of Ferdinand VII using the bust of the previous king, Charles IV. In fact, Ferdinand's portrait does not appear on any product of the Colombian mints (Popayán and Nuevo Reino). The catalog values the Nuevo Reino dos reales higher than the Popayán dos reales tho it seems to appear more often. The royalists were finally expelled from Colombia in 1819 and republican issues, interrupted in 1816, resume the same year. Assayers MF and FM (shown here) are known from Popayán for 1820, along with an overdate, 1820/10.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .896 silver, .195 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM-70.2.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- 1819-NR 2 reales
- 1819-P 2 reales
- Santa Marta 1820 1/4 real
- 1820 ¼ real, Nueva Granada
- Cundinamarca 1820-JF 2 reales
- 1820-JF 2 reales (Nueva Granada)
- 1820-P MF 2 reales
- Santa Marta 1820-SM 2 reales
- Cundinamarca 1820-JF 8 reales
- 1820-JF 8 reales, LIBERTAD AMERICANA
- 1820-NR escudo
- Mexico 1820-Mo JJ 2 reales
- Mexico 1820-Z AG 2 reales
- Peru 1820-L JP 2 reales
- Spain 1820-M GJ 2 reales
- 1820-NR 8 escudos
- 1820-P 8 escudos
- 1820-Pn FM 8 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1820
- return to coins of Colombia