Colombia 1820-JF 8 reales
This specimen was lot 42389 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $7,200. The catalog description noted, "Significant 1820 8 Reales Rarity COLOMBIA. 1820-JF 8 Reales. Bogotá mint. AU Detail — Cleaned (PCGS). The major rarity of this two-year type. Boldly defined details spring from smooth and brilliant light silver gray surfaces. Overwhelmingly positive visual appeal is slightly tempered by old hairlines, but no marks or other flaws are noted. This Nueva Granada issue with no visible overdate is called "very rare" by Restrepo and stands as one of the great rarities of the Colombian crown series. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian Coins." This type of 1819-20 is scarcer than the Cundinamarca 8 reales (KM C6) but rare, tho it is also never seen except in heavily worn condition.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 23 g, .666 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM 78, Restrepo 142.3.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.
- Santa Marta 1820 1/4 real
- 1820 ¼ real
- Cundinamarca 1820-JF 2 reales
- 1820-P FM 2 reales
- 1820-P MF 2 reales
- Cundinamarca 1820-JF 8 reales
- 1820-JF 2 reales, LIBERTAD AMERICANA
- 1820-NR 1 escudo
- 1820-NR 8 escudos
- 1820-P 8 escudos
- 1820-Pn FM 8 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1820
- return to coins of Colombia