Colombia 1818-NR JF 4 escudos
This specimen was lot 26826 in Heritage sale 3026 (Long Beach, October 2013), where it sold for $940. The catalog description noted, "Ferdinand VII gold 4 Escudos 1818-JF Nuevo Reino, nicely struck with luster in the legends, very scarce type featuring the bust of Carlos IIII." This specimen is one of a type struck at Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) 1818-19 only. The Colombian mints (Popayán and Nuevo Reino) concentrated on minting gold, to the near exclusion of silver which predominated at the other colonial mints. While one escudos and eight escudos are plentiful, four escudos are rare. Assayer JF is recorded for 1809-20.
Recorded mintage: unknown but scarce.
Specification: 13.54 g, .875 fine gold, .381 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-62, KM 72.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3026, World & Ancient Coins, featuring the RLM Collection, Part Two, the Nogales Collection and the Goetz Medals Die Archive, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 5th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2010.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.