Colombia 1814-NR JF 8 escudos
The first specimen was lot 20402 in Heritage sale 3021 (New York, January 2013), where it sold for $1,880. The catalog description noted, "Ferdinand VII gold 8 Escudos 1814-JF Nuevo Reino, AU58 NGC, nicely struck with subtle toning and strong eye appeal." The second specimen was lot 39084 in Stack's Bowers Winter sale (Baltimore, November 2015), where it sold for $1,762.50. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 8 Escudos, 1814-NR JF. NGC AU-58. Struck slightly off-center but with all of the legends on the coin. Worn dies that produced a somewhat convex flan after striking, and a highly expressive portrait. Terrific overall color without any of the unsightly dark orange tone sometimes seen on the issue. A real treat, especially at the assigned grade level." Altho Ferdinand VII's name was used on the obverse legend, it is the bust of Charles IV which appears. This was typical for all of Colombia's coinage in the last years of the colonial era. Assayer JF is recorded for 1808-1820. Nuevo Reino and its neighbor Popayán were the most prolific issuers of gold coins during the colonial period and this coin is common.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .875 fine gold, .761 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-60; KM-66.1.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3021, featuring the Cecil Webster, Richard P. Ariagno and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collection, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Todd McKenna, The November 2015 Baltimore Auction, World Coins and Paper Money, featuring the Ray Czabor Collection and selections from the Strong Museum, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2015.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.