Colombia 1813-P JF 8 reales
"COLOMBIA. 1813/2-JF 8 Reales. Popayán mint. Ferdinand VII (1808-1833). AU-50 (PCGS). Bust of Carlos IV. Perhaps the finest known example of this date, even finer than the Restrepo plate coin (ex Superior's December 1990 sale and Sedwick's 2014 Auction 16). Nearly full luster persists on lightly gold-toned silver gray surfaces. As is common to other specimens of this date, the planchet shows some imperfections, including a lamination at the point of the bust and at the king's forehead, some natural pits at the side of the neck and chest, and a dropped lamination at G of GRATIA. The overdate is clear. The centering is good and the planchet is nearly round, just a bit incomplete at 12:00. Some trivial hairlines are seen, and a thin scratch crosses the drapery clasp, but the quality and eye appeal remain excellent. Both the Calbeto and Elizondo coins were well worn. Norweb lacked this date entirely. Very rare in any grade and impossible to duplicate like this. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins."This coin represents the only attempt to strike portrait reales in Colombia during colonial times. It was issued from the Popayán mint 1810-14, 1816 and 1820. While other mints such as Mexico City and Santiago were using the standard bust of Ferdinand VII, Popayán persisted in continuing the bust of the abdicated Charles IV.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .896 fine silver, .780 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Restrepo 120.4; KM 71.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Raymond, Wayte, The Silver Dollars of North and South America, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1964.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- 1812-P 8 reales
- Chile 1813-So FJ 8 reales
- Santa Marta 1813 1/4 real
- 1813 copper ½ real
- Colombia 1813-P JF real Ferdinand VII
- Cundinamarca 1813 JF real
- 1813 copper 2 reales
- Colombia 1813-P JF 2 reales Ferdinand VII
- 1813 copper 8 reales
- Mexico 1813-Mo JJ 8 reales
- 1813-NR escudo
- 1813-P escudo
- Colombia 1813-NR JF 8 escudos
- Colombia 1813-P JF 8 escudos
- 1814-P 2 reales
- 1814/3-P F 8 reales
- Coins and currency dated 1813
- return to coins of Colombia