Colombia 1812-NR JF 1/2 real
"Bogotá, Colombia, bust 1 real, Ferdinand VII (bust of Charles IV), 1812/1JF, mintmark as MR, Restrepo plate coin, unique. AVF with weak bust, hint of luster, very light toning, clear overdate (featured in high magnification in Restrepo) and mintmark MR. Despite Restrepo's valuing of this coin in 4 grades, neither the consignor nor the cataloger has ever heard of another specimen. In an article for Numis-Notas the consignor asserts that the MR mintmark was intentional, not an error, based on the fact that M was not among the standard letter-punches made for these coins. The reason for altering the mintmark, however, remains a mystery. Plate coin in Restrepo's Monedas de Colombia (2009). Jorge Ortiz Murias collection of Colombian colonial minors."The second specimen shown was lot 1041 in Sedwick sale 11 (Winter Park, FL, April 2011), where it sold for $920. The catalog description noted,
"Bogotá, Colombia, bust 1 real, Ferdinand VII (bust of Charles IV), 1812JF (no overdate but re-cut 2, an unlisted variety), mintmark as MR. Richly toned AVF with bold date showing that the last digit is clearly split at the top from re-cutting the die, quite unlike the plain-date 1812 shown in Restrepo. See previous lot regarding the MR mintmark. Jorge Ortiz Murias collection of Colombian colonial minors."The last hslf real of Charles IV was issued from Bogotá in 1801.
Production of this type began in 1810 and ran until 1818, with an issue from Popayán for 1810. This type, tho not common, appears much more often than prior types.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 1.69 g, .896 silver, .048 troy oz ASW, this specimen 1.7 grams.
Catalog reference: KM-69.1; Restrepo-106.4; CT-1384.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 11, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2012.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.