Colombia 1811-P JF 8 reales
"COLOMBIA. 1811-JF 8 Reales. Popayán mint. Ferdinand VII (1808-1833). EF-40 (PCGS). Bust of Carlos IV. The first of the famous and elusive Popayán portrait 8 Reales. Superb light silver surfaces show hints of luster and some subtle golden toning. The eye appeal and overall quality are choice for the grade, with the only notable flaw a tiny rim nick below the 8 of the date. The planchet is a bit short at 12:00, as made, otherwise the strike and centering are outstanding. As rare as this coin is, two decent ones have sold within recent memory. The Calbeto plate coin sold in the 2008 Millennia sale for $17,250, graded EF-45 (NGC). If it is not the unquestioned finest known, it is a strong contender. The VF-35 (NGC) example sold in Heritage's January 2016 sale was likewise very nice, bringing $12,650. A circulated example with "harshly cleaned surfaces" sold in the December 1991 Superior sale, at which time this date was described as "less than 5 known." The true number is at least a bit higher, but this remains a significant and important rarity as the first portrait 8 Reales of Colombia. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins."This coin represents the only attempt to strike portrait 8 reales in Colombia during colonial times. It was issued from the Popayán mint 1810-14, 1816 and 1820. While other mints such as Mexico City and Santiago were using the standard bust of Ferdinand VII, Popayán persisted in continuing the bust of the abdicated Charles IV.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .896 fine silver, .780 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 71.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Raymond, Wayte, The Silver Dollars of North and South America, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1964.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- 1770-NR 8 reales
- Colombia 1811-P JF 2 reales
- Cartagena (1811) 2 reales
- Chile 1811-So FJ 8 reales
- Guatemala 1811-NG M 8 reales
- Mexico 1811-Mo HJ 8 reales, standard bust
- Peru 1811-L JP 8 reales, standard bust
- 1811-NR JF escudo
- 1811-NR JJ escudo
- 1811-NR 2 escudos
- Colombia 1811-NR JF 8 escudos
- Colombia 1811-P JF 8 escudos
- 1812-P 8 reales
- Coins and currency dated 1811
- return to coins of Colombia