Colombia 1809-NR JF 8 escudos
This specimen was lot 20747 in Heritage sale 3010 (Boston, August 2010), where it sold for $1,638.75. The catalog description noted, "Ferdinand VII gold 8 Escudos 1809/8-JF Nuevo Reino, AU55 NGC, nicely struck with no adjustment marks and a clear overdate. Bust of Carlos IIII. From the Don Benito Collection of Hispanic Gold." Altho Ferdinand VII's name was used on the obverse legend, it is the bust of Charles IV which appears. This was typical for all of Colombia's coinage in the last years of the colonial era. Assayer JF is recorded for 1792-1820. Overdates abound, including an 1809/8 shown here. An overassayer, JF/JJ, is also reported.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .875 fine gold, .761 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 66.1, Fr-60.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Tucker, Warren, Scott Cordry and John Kraljevich, Heritage Sale 3010: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.