Colombia 1808-P JF escudo Fr-66
This specimen was lot 40088 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $690. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1808-JF Escudo. Popayán mint. Ferdinand VII (1808-1833). MS-61 (PCGS). A fine example of this scarce first Ferdinand VII Escudo of Popayán. Frosty and exceptionally lustrous, with some orange encrustation around peripheral design elements. A thin hairline scratch in the left obverse field is no great distraction. The reverse is somewhat bulged and shows raised die file lines on either side of the shield. Well centered and appealing for the grade. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian Coins. Ex. Coin Galleries, June 1979." In an extremely confused political situation in Spain, Charles IV was forced to abdicate in favor of Ferdinand VII, who in turn was forced to abdicate in favor of Napoleon's brother Joseph Bonaparte, erstwhile king of Naples. Joseph was never recognized in Latin America but escudos of 1808 are known for both Charles and Ferdinand. This type was struck in Popayán until 1819.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.38 g, .875 fine gold, .095 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-66, KM 64.2, Restrepo 123.1.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.