Colombia 1808-P JF escudo Fr-59
This specimen was lot 40085 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $288. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1808-JF Escudo. Popayán mint. Carlos IV (1788-1808). AU-58 (PCGS). Listed as an 1808/7 overdate in Restrepo, though the thin evidence of a possible crossbar within the top of the final 8 seems insufficient for attribution. This is the final Escudo issue of Colombia in the name of Carlos IV, though his portrait persisted on the issues of Ferdinand VII through the end of the series in 1819. Perfectly centered, with a ring of denticles around both sides, this piece shows exemplary orange toning over medium yellow gold surfaces. A good deal of luster persists, and no significant flaws are noted. Choice and desirable. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian Coins." In an extremely confused political situation in Spain, Charles IV was forced to abdicate in favor of Ferdinand VII, who in turn was forced to abdicate in favor of Napoleon's brother Joseph Bonaparte, erstwhile king of Naples. Joseph was never recognized in Latin America but escudos of 1808 are known for both Charles and Ferdinand.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.38 g, .875 fine gold, .095 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Restrepo 85.40, KM 56.2, Fr-59.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.