Colombia 1808-NR JF escudo Fr-65
This specimen was lot 40086 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $1,920. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1808-JF Escudo. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Ferdinand VII (1808-1833). MS-63 (PCGS). The first of the Bogotá issues struck in the name of Ferdinand VII which, like all Colombian Escudo coins of this monarch, depicts Carlos IV. Smooth lustrous surfaces are bright with cartwheel and toned with subtle, beautiful orange. A premium quality example, finer than most at this grade level, with only trivial obverse hairlines keeping it from a grade nearer to Gem. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian Coins. Ex. Hans M.F. Schulman's sale of June 1972, lot 109." In an extremely confused political situation in Spain, Charles IV was forced to abdicate in favor of Ferdinand VII, who in turn was forced to abdicate in favor of Napoleon's brother Joseph Bonaparte, erstwhile king of Naples. Joseph was never recognized in Latin America but escudos of 1808 are known for both Charles and Ferdinand. This type was struck in Bogotá until 1820.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.38 g, .875 fine gold, .095 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-65, KM 64.1, Restrepo 122.1.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.