Colombia 1808-NR JF 8 escudos Fr-60
The first specimen was lot 23409 in Heritage sale 3030 (New York, January 2014), where it sold for $4,406.25. The catalog description noted, "Ferdinand VII 8 Escudos 1808 NR-F/JJ, MS63 NGC. Ferdinand VII with the bust of Carlos III. Fully bright, and original, luster, with greenish-gold patina and a major die-crack t[h]rough the center of the obverse showing that the die was about ready to collapse. Scarcer over-assayer type." The second specimen was lot 11267 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $1,440. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1808-JF/JJ 8 Escudos. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Ferdinand VII (1808-1833). AU-58 (PCGS). Struck in the name of Ferdinand VII but depicting Carlos IV, as do all Colombian 8 Escudos from both mints until 1820. A fascinating variety, combining an obverse that shows FERDND punched over CAROL with a reverse that shows the JF assayer punched over JJ. While Restrepo lists both of these varieties, he does not indicate that they sometimes (always?) come together. Nice medium yellow gold with some remaining luster. The obverse is neatly broken from the N of FERDND to the right obverse field, nearly bisecting the die. The reverse shows some shallow laminations at upper left and center. Attractive and interesting, the first 8 Escudos struck in the name of Ferdinand VII in Colombia. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From RARCOA's 1981 CICF sale, March 1980, lot 195." Altho Ferdinand VII's name was used on the obverse legend, it is the bust of Charles IV which appears. This was typical for all of Colombia's coinage in the last years of the colonial era. Assayer JF is recorded for 1792-1820. Overdates abound. An overassayer, JF/JJ, is shown here.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .875 fine gold, .761 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Restrepo M127.1 and M127.2, KM 66.1, Fr-60.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3030, featuring the RLM Collection, the Isaac Rudman Collection, the Hans Cook Collection and the Collection of Donald E. Bently, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.