Colombia 1807-NR JJ 4 escudos
This specimen was lot 11359 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $1,080. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1807-JJ 4 Escudos. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Carlos IV (1788-1808). AU Detail — Cleaned (PCGS). Medium yellow gold with a natural appearance and good luster, though subtle hairlines are seen, particularly in the reverse fields. The obverse die is cracked through G of DG into the center of the portrait. Well centered and quite bold, this is a fine example of the final date of this design type. Restrepo singles this date out as a rarity, but all Carlos IV 4 Escudos from Santa Fe are quite elusive. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From Don Canaparo, January 1981. From Calicó, Barcelona, May 1968." This specimen is one of a type struck at Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) 1792-1807 and at Popayan in 1801. The Colombian mints (Popayán and Nuevo Reino) concentrated on minting gold, to the near exclusion of silver which predominated at the other colonial mints. While one escudos and eight escudos are plentiful, four escudos are rare. Assayer JJ is recorded for 1772-1809.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.54 g, .875 fine gold, .381 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Restrepo M93.26, KM 61.1, Fr-53.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.