Colombia 1806-NR JJ 8 escudos
This specimen was lot 11261 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $6,000. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1806-JJ 8 Escudos. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Carlos IV (1788-1808). MS-64 (PCGS). A frosty near-gem with superlative visual appeal and extraordinary luster. Very well struck on both sides, free of problems but for a trivial vertical hairline beneath ET IND. Just a beautiful example, probably finest known of the date and fresh to the market after more than 45 years. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From Glendining's sale of November 1971, lot 431." This type was struck at Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) and Popayán 1791-1808 and is the most common gold coin of Charles IV. It remains much in demand and is still expensive. Many overdates are recorded, altho none are listed for 1806. Assayer JJ is recorded for 1774-1808. In 1785, the purity was reduced from .901 to .875 fine.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .875 fine gold, .761 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Restrepo M97.36, KM 62.1, Fr-51.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.