Colombia 1804-P JF escudo
This specimen was lot 40076 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $900 The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1804-JF Escudo. Popayán mint. Carlos IV (1788-1808). MS-62+(PCGS). A rather stunning specimen, with exceptional lustrous flash on both sides. The denticles are soft and broad, but the centers are particularly sharp and well defined. A natural struck-through lintmark in between the nose and SP of HISP is the only notable defect, one this coin has carried since the moment it was struck. A very nice coin. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian Coins. Ex. Glendining's sale of November 1971, lot 486." This type was struck at Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) and Popayán 1791-1808 and is a common gold coin of Charles IV.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.38 g, .875 fine gold, .095 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Restrepo 85.26, KM 56.2, Fr-59.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.