Colombia 1804-P JF 2 escudos
This specimen was lot 40249 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $660. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1804-JF 2 Escudos. Popayán mint. Carlos IV (1788-1808). AU-55 (PCGS). Highly lustrous and impressively well struck on a nice broad planchet, this piece has a distinctive and special appearance. The portrait is fully struck, the denticles are long, and the peripheral luster is reflective. A die break behind the portrait distends the left obverse field a bit. The reverse is similarly well struck and lovely, with an even rich yellow gold appearance. This would make a really great type coin. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian Coins." This type was struck 1791-1806 at Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) and Popayán and is common, tho priced slightly higher than the prior type of Charles III.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .875 fine gold, .190 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 60.2, Fr-57, Restrepo 90.22.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.