Colombia 1796-P JF 8 escudos
This specimen was lot 11235 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $2,160. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1796-JF 8 Escudos. Popayán mint. Carlos IV (1788-1808). UNC Detail — Cleaned (PCGS). The 1980 RARCOA catalog description of this coin used the word "dazzling," which is not too strong to describe the extraordinary lustrous flash of this coin. Light yellow gold with a good deal of reflectivity. The hairlines are fairly modest in most regions aside from a batch in the right obverse field. A very impressive and high grade example. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From RARCOA's 1980 CICF sale, May 1980, lot 139." This specimen is one of a type struck at Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) and Popayan 1791-1808. The Colombian mints (Popayán and Nuevo Reino) concentrated on minting gold, to the near exclusion of the silver which predominated at the other colonial mints. While one escudos and eight escudos are plentiful, four escudos are rare. Assayer JF is recorded for 1792-1816.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .875 fine gold, .761 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Restrepo M98.12, KM 62.2, Fr-52.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.