Colombia 1790-P SF 4 escudos
"COLOMBIA. 1789-JJ/VJ 4 Escudos. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Carlos IV (1788-1808). AU-53 (PCGS). Carlos III portrait. JJ/VJ reverse, no over ordinal on obverse. A rare variety, using the same reverse die as the issues from 1770 onward, but struck from an obverse without the IV ordinal punched over III as described by Restrepo. Frosty and lustrous light yellow gold with excellent aesthetic appeal and detail. Some old hairlines are noted in the lower right reverse, and a batch of adjustment marks are present beneath the right side of the crown. An important example of a scarce issue. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From American Numismatic Rarities' sale of the Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection, April 2005, lot 1511. Earlier, from the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp Estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942."Charles III finally died early in 1788 but the news didn't make it to Latin America until 1789. Until such time as the Madrid mint could prepare and send out new punches and dies, the mints in Latin America used the portrait of the old king with the new king's ordinal (IV or IIII vs. III). This transitional type was produced in Popayan (shown here) and Bogota for 1789-91.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.53 g, .875 fine gold, .380 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 52.1, Fr-46, Restrepo M91.1b.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.