Colombia 1790-NR JJ 4 escudos
This specimen was lot 11340 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $9,000. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1790-JJ 4 Escudos. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Carlos IV (1788-1808). MS-62 (PCGS). Carlos III portrait. Described as "rare" by Restrepo, this is the final 4 Escudos of Santa Fe to depict Carlos III. It is considerably more elusive than the Popayán issue of this year. Even and frosty light yellow gold with strong luster and widespread reflective surfaces. Struck on a somewhat oblong planchet, with few denticles on the obverse and absent from the top of the reverse. Scattered marks and fine hairlines are seen, and some subtle adjustment marks are present behind the portrait. Well struck and very well preserved overall. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From Don Canaparo, August 1980." Charles III finally died early in 1788 but the news didn't make it to Latin America until 1789. Until such time as the Madrid mint could prepare and send out new punches and dies, the mints in Latin America used the portrait of the old king with the new king's ordinal (IV or IIII vs. III). This transitional type was produced in Popayan and Bogota (shown here) for 1789-91.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.53 g, .875 fine gold, .380 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 52.1, Fr-45, Restrepo M91.3.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.