Colombia 1787-NR JJ 4 escudos
This specimen was lot 11338 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $1,320. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1787-JJ/VJ 4 Escudos. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Carlos III (1759-1788). EF-45 (PCGS). The last Carlos III 4 Escudos from Santa Fe, and the first Santa Fe issue of this denomination since 1779. The same reverse die was employed as was used from 1770 through 1779, with a portion of the left side of a V visible beneath the first J of the JJ assayer initials. Medium yellow gold with good eye appeal, just minor marks consistent with the grade. A very scarce issue, missing from most major auction offerings. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins." The old bust of Ferdinand VI used at Popayan was finally retired in 1771, twelve years after his death. The "standard" bust of Charles III was introduced on the one, two and eight escudos in 1772 and the four escudos in 1773. The regime also took the opportunity to reduce the purity from .917 to .901 fine gold, with another reduction to .875 in 1785. This type with the reduced fineness is listed for Popayan in 1786 only and Bogota 1787 only.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.53 g, .875 fine gold, .380 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 44, Fr-38, Restrepo M67.6.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.